Separation, Divorce, Taxes
by Milad Taghehchian CFP(R) on April 15th, 2014

If you are going through a separation or divorce things can get stressful and hectic. We aim to clear up tax filing situations here to help relieve a small portion of that stress.

How you file really depends on your status at the end of the year so lets go through some examples.

1) Divorce finalized before the end of the tax year.  
You are eligible to file as a Single person. If you have a qualifying dependent you may be able to file as Head of Household. 

2) Couples who are in the process of getting divorced at the end of the tax year.
You are still considered legally married. You may choose to file married filing jointly or married filing separately.  If you did not live with your spouse for at least the last 6 months of the tax year and you have a qualifying dependent, you may be able to file as head of household.

3) If you are legally separated under a separate maintenance decree or a decree of legal separation.
You can file as single. If you have a qualifying dependent you can file head of household.

4) If marriage was annulled
You are considered legally unmarried and can file as single or head of household if you have qualifying dependents.

As always, please consult your attorneys and tax advisors for more detailed information pertaining to your particular situation.  

Posted in Tax Tips, Divorce    Tagged with divorce, taxes, separation


Leave a Comment